Way back when, when I blogged more regularly, I posted a series called “Cooking From My Box,” which featured recipes that contained ingredients that I received from both my organic produce CSA box and my organic meat CSA box (because I live in northern California and if you don’t subscribe to at least one organic food delivery service they toss you out on the streets and pelt you with oreos). Anyhoo… that obviously fell by the wayside, as did my blog.
However, it is no secret that I love to cook, and I love to eat. And you may have noticed that not only do a lot of my characters cook, some of them are even professional chefs or restaurateurs. So recently I had the brilliant idea to create a cookbook featuring all of the recipes mentioned over the years in my books.
And then I started making a list of said recipes, and realized, holy crap that a cookbook would be a monster of a project. Not undoable, but I’d like to think my readers would rather have me spending my writing ours on a new romance, not a cookbook.
And then it came to me – with the launch of my fabulous new web site, I could launch another cooking series!
Welcome to the first installment of Cooking From My Books!
Each Wednesday you can look forward to a recipe a character prepares in one of my books. Hope you enjoy!
And now, for this week’s recipe:
Tortilla Crusted Chicken Breasts
This recipe, featured in my very first novel, Delicious, was created and prepared by Reggie Caldwell, the popular host of Simply Delicious. On her show, Reggie focused on fast, easy, and family friendly dishes just like this easy chicken dish which uses crushed tortilla chips to create a crispy, flavorful crust for your chicken.
1 pound chicken breast tenders
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 large eggs
2 garlic cloves, pressed
Vegetable cooking spray
2 cups crushed tortilla chips
For added flavor brine the chicken in a solution of 2 quarts water, and 2 tablespoons each salt and sugar for 1 hour before cooking.
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Stir together 1/3 cup flour and next 3 ingredients.
3. Whisk eggs just until foamy, and stir in pressed garlic.
4. Place a wire rack coated with cooking spray in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
5. Dredge chicken tenders in flour mixture, shaking off excess; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in crushed tortilla chips. Lightly coat chicken on each side with cooking spray; arrange chicken on wire rack.
6. Bake at 425° for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and done, turning once after 12 minutes.